Tuesday, March 24, 2009

SFWOW - San Francisco Women on the Web

I joined San Francisco Women on the Web in 1999 when I still lived in Ashland, Oregon. Being hooked up to SFWOW made me feel that I was on the leading edge and I craved that connection as I read threads and participated in conversations with other members. At that time, I had just secured a domain for my company - www.heartfulart.com (then a one-page collage of my multifaceted artistic creations). A year later I moved to Marin County, across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. Connecting with tech-savvy women who were exploring and crafting this new world of the web was exciting and educational. I attended a few meetings for web design and marketing and my mind expanded exponentially. The San Francisco Bay Area is a big, spread out place and I had an old, beat up car so driving to Silicon Valley, Oakland and Berkeley from Marin by myself at night to have coffee and chat with tech women didn't happen very often. Then, when I opened my Heartful Art Gallery in Sausalito in 2001, I put all my eggs in that one basket and drifted away from the SFWOW network. Eight years later, I now live and create art on the central gulf coast of Florida. Still, my love of technology and my fascination with the web continues. Thinking today of my commitment to blog on Ada Lovelace Day to honor women in technology, I remembered the women of SFWOW. I honor and thank them for being. The SFWOW nonprofit now has over 1,300 members. Bravo!

No comments: