Saturday, August 14, 2010

Watching, Reading and Writing

I've been making a conscious effort to select lighter fare for my viewing and reading material. The other day I watched a 1999 movie with Diane Lane set in 1969: A Walk on the Moon. The sets alone were worth the ride, taking me back to the days of my youth when my family took summer vacations to cabins in Northern Minnesota. The cabin in this movie, however, was near Woodstock, NY. Nostalgia was rampant for me in the inner turmoil of the characters, the dynamics of the relationships and the visual reminders of my childhood and my own hippie days gone by. I loved, loved, loved it. The movie and my memories.

I found a book by Jennifer Weiner, "In Her Shoes" that was a far cry from the mysteries and suspense I have always preferred. It took a bit of getting used to because, instead of the fast escape into a world of an action thriller, the conversation of the book was familial, emotional and pushed some buttons inside me. Although not always easy to read, it was real. Through the pages I felt a sweet kinship with my sister and how our lives have weaved in and out through the years.

Both the movie and the book inspired me to stay the course to explore new books, movies, experiences, and see what opens up for me in the process. For one, reading and watching "slice of life" books and movies inspires me to write more.

My homework for this half of August is completion. I've taken on little things to finish (since the big things seem too big to complete at the moment). Easy things. Then perhaps, one day soon, I'll once again set the course to finishing the many books I have in process. For now, it's one step at a time. Breathe in, breathe out. Clean the linen closet, make a sales call, fill an order, make the bed. One thing at a time. My gift to myself each day is to write a short piece to share with you here in this blog. We all have stories to tell. Each one valuable to the whole.
- Raphaella Vaisseau

No comments: