Tuesday, September 20, 2011

30 Days of Get Your Art On - 9.20.11 (Raphaella Vaisseau Day 2)

Today is Day 2 of creating art for 30 minutes a day for 30 days (Get Your Art On). I'm using the same rules Traci Bunkers listed when she originated this project:
  • I’ll make art every day for 30 days and post what I have done.
  • I don’t have to finish what ever I’m working on that day, I just have to work on something.
  • I have to work for 30 minutes, but can work longer if time permits. 
  • It doesn’t matter what I do for the art making, as long as I work on art.
  • I won’t feel guilty for taking the time to work on art and I won’t have to justify why I’m doing it.
  • I don’t have to go into detail in my post about how I did anything or what tools, materials I used (unless I want to).
Years ago I made a similar commitment to myself when I agreed to write for publication for 60 minutes a day for 30 days. I wrote up a contract with myself, signed it, and did it. The distinction "for publication" was intentional so that in this hour I would work only on projects I planned to submit to publishers. Stream of consciousness writing or journaling did not count toward my 60 minutes. It was powerful. By the end of those 30 days I had redefined myself as a writer. I enjoyed doing it, I felt transformed in the process, and I loved keeping my word to myself.

In these 30 Days of Get Your Art On I have an inner distinction as well. I plan to use these 30 minutes a day for creating art outside of my normal activities as an artist in my company, Heartful Art. Integrity will be my guide.

As you can see in the picture, today's project is unfinished. It's a work in progress. I believe it is the beginning of a grid abstract, of which I've done many. (See some of them here.) I never know what direction my art will take me as I layer the paint, since I like to paint from my heart rather than from my head. I've never before photographed (or shared!) a project at this early stage of creation. It will be interesting to see how this painting births itself and how I feel about the transparency of the process. For now, it is good.
-Raphaella Vaisseau 

No comments: